Girls, travel, rockets, transport, hotels, films, Martinis, wine, music, food and ranting!

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

The top 100 films of the 21st century



The BBC has just announced the results of a survey looking for the most highly regarded films of the 21st Century so far.  I looked at the list and realised I had only seen two of them.  Oh dear, I am not a film buff.   I am not an intellectual, either.  With many of these films, I would rather watch an episode of the Open University on fluid dynamics than endure some of the pretentious tripe loved by film critics.




My watched ones were:

6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2006) which I quite enjoyed but am amazed it ranks at number 6..  I saw it at the cinema with Agent DVD
45. Blue is the Warmest Colour (2013).  Borrowed Agent DVD's Blu-ray. Quite enjoyed it (parts of it quite a lot indeed). Very pretentiously French.

I wonder how many Agent DVD has seen? 

The number one film was David Lynch's Mulholland Drive which, of course, I haven't seen, although partly because the DVD version is cut compared with the cinema version, something I hate.

8 comments:

  1. I was surprised, especially as the first in the list I had seen was Finding Nemo. I have seen 15 of them, or 16 but I can't remember if I was awake for all of Brokeback Mountain but I do remember it was slow.

    I would recommend Amelie as it is a film unlike any other. The use of effects to enhance the story and the colourful, humourous lightness of the cinematography made it the most entertaining film I can remember clearly. It is very fey, if you want something a little more gritty his film Mic Macs is also hilarious and moving.

    My last recommendation to you having been Asylum's Princess of Mars may reduce my credibility, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My friend Agent DVD had seen 38 of them but his home cinema set up cost more than his Porsche! He is a big fan of Amelie so maybe I'll get him to lend it to me. Tragically, my last DVD purchase was a double bill of The Stud and The Bitch which I am going to watch with my friend A on Monday!

      Delete
    2. More relevant to your art blog but have you heard "L'origine de L'Origine du Monde" on Radio 4 today? Hilarious in parts as gallery-goers try to artify their reactions to the picture. Though at least one was honest.

      http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07pj824

      Delete
  2. I caught some of Blue is the Warmest Colour on C4 not long ago; the sex scenes and nudity that it's (in)famous for didn't interest me as much as the actress playing the ingénue. I'd quite like to watch it properly...deciding whether to spend the little extra on a Blu-Ray rather than DVD.

    In general, I lost interest in cinema around the turn of the century for a number of reasons, and I'm trying to use Blu-Ray as an enticement to get back into it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretentious list, I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's see, I have seen the following:

    - Finding Nemo
    - Let the Right One In
    - Ratatoille
    - The Pianist
    - Spotlight
    - Amelie
    - Far From Heaven
    - A.I.
    - A Serious Man
    - Almost Famous
    - The Wolf of Wallstreet
    - Dogville
    - Only Lovers Left Alive
    - Carol
    - The Hurt Locker
    - Inglorious Basterds
    - Moulin Rouge!
    - Inception
    - Blue is the Warmest Color
    - Inside Out
    - Brokeback Mountain
    - City of God
    - Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    - The Dark Knight
    - WALL-E
    - The Social Network
    - Lost in Translation
    - The Grand Buapest Hotel
    - Mad Max: Fury Road
    - Pan's Labyrinth
    - Children of Men
    - No Country for Old Men
    - Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    - Boyhood
    - Spirited Away
    - There Will Be Blood

    I really liked some of these. Some I thought were just okay. If I had to recommend one out of all the ones I've seen, I'd say watch 'The Pianist.' It was a truly incredible film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have done a lot better than me! I have just spotted, Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon which I hadn't noticed so that makes 3. My problem is that I don't really like contemporary drama so that eliminates most films!

      Delete